Students can enroll in Astronomy 116 as long as they have completed high school Algebra or completed Mathematics 100C or higher level courses at Oxford.
The Biology placement is based on HS GPA, SAT scores, and AP/IB scores (if any).
This placement can be changed only at the discretion of the instructor. If you have questions please contact Nitya Jacob via email at email@example.com.
If a student's Biology AP or IB score was not submitted to the college prior to placement, it was not considered in the placement outcome. You will need to submit your scores for reevaluation of your biology placement.
The departmental policy for initial Chemistry placement is based on the score of the Blackboard Chemistry Placement test. This placement can be changed only by Dr. Lloyd Parker. If you have questions please contact him via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chemistry 100 is a survey course for nonscience majors and pre-nursing students. Chemistry 160Q is a course in forensic chemistry for nonscience majors; it is an INQ (inquiry) course. Students can enroll in Chemistry 100 or Chemistry 160 as long as they have completed high school Algebra or completed Mathematics 100C or higher level math courses at Oxford.
Chemistry 141 is the first course of a two-course sequence of general chemistry. Students who plan to take this course must take this chemistry placement test before arriving at Oxford, preferably no later than August 1, 2013. Depending on the student's performance on this placement test, he/she may need to take a math course or a lower-level chemistry course before taking Chemistry 141. Students will receive their placement information during orientation after they arrive at Oxford.
Who needs to take Chemistry 141?
(1) Students who plan to major in chemistry, biology, NBB, or environmental science.
(2) Students who plan to go to medical school, veterinary school, dental school, pharmacy school, or public health school.
Who does not need to take Chemistry 141?
(1) Students who plan to go to nursing school (although these students can take Chemistry 141, they usually take Chemistry 100, and for that course this placement test is not necessary).
(2) Students with scores of 4 or 5 on the chemistry AP test, or who will have IB credit for chemistry (scores of 5, 6, or 7 on the chemistry higher-level exam), or who will have transfer credit for general chemistry.
(3) Nonscience majors who do not plan to go medical school, veterinary school, dental school, pharmacy school, or public health school. Chemistry, along with the other sciences at Oxford, offers nonmajor science courses for these students.
The chemistry placement test does not test your knowledge of chemistry - it tests your ability to use the mathematics you will need in Chemistry 141. You will need a scientific calculator for this test, but you are not permitted to use any other materials (and you will not need any other materials). You must take the test in one sitting. If you do not take this test, you will not be allowed to register for Chemistry 141 either fall or spring of your freshman year; if you want to take Chemistry 141 your sophomore year, you will need to take the placement test next summer. Contact Dr. Lloyd Parker if you have any questions.
Students can take the first level Geology class.
Please visit the Choose the First Math Courses site for details.
Students can start with Physics 141 which has a pre-requisite of Math 110A/111.
Students can start with Physics 151 with a co-requisite of Math 112.