To prevent losing the data on your computer in the event of a hardware failure, theft, or other catastrophes, Oxford College Information Technology (OCIT) offers an optional desktop backup service for your computer.
Your Exchange/Outlook email is the only item that is backed up for you. OCIT recommends taking advantage of this service if you are concerned about your data which includes documents and other data saved directly on your own computer.
How to start the backup service?
- Windows users download the backup software on your computer. OCIT personnel will contact you after the download and installation of the software is complete.
- Macintosh users please open an AskIT ticket
- You are solely responsible for ensuring your data are backed up. This is an opt-In service.
- Only the "My Documents" (Windows) and "Document" (Mac) folders and sub-folders are backed up
- The following are excluded from all backups:
- "Pictures", "Music", and "Videos" folder
- Your desktop folders, applications and icons are not backed up
- Backups are limited to 2GB (approximately 84,000 one-page Word documents)
- Your data is encrypted on the server to prevent unauthorized access
Please note that this backup service is not intended as a long term archiving solution. If a more thorough archiving solution is needed, please contact OCIT for recommendations.