To ensure student success with the check-out process, we provide the following information to all students.
For a detailed information about all things check-out, please click HERE.
STEP 1: REMOVE ALL OF YOUR BELONGINGS FROM YOUR ROOM
- You must appropriately remove ALL items from your room.
- Large items (bunkbeds, lofts, carpets, etc.) should be disposed of in the DUMPSTERS.
- You will be charged for any items left in your room or in the hallway.
STEP 2: CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF
- Removeany tape and/or other adhesives from the walls, ceiling, doors, and windows. This includes stars, hooks, sticky-tack or other decals you might have adhered to the surface.
- Empty out the trash cans. Please RECYCLE appropriately.
- Vacuum or sweep your room.
- Clean the sink, mirrors and other surfaces.
STEP 3: CHECK YOUR ROOM
- Furniture should be returned to its original arrangement.
- If the beds were not bunked when you moved in, you must UNBUNK them.
- If the dresser was in a different location in the room, you must RETURN it to that original location.
- If you flipped your bed over, you must UNFLIP it to its upright and correct position.
- ALL furniture (bed, dresser, desk, desk chair, recycle bins, etc.) that was supplied in your room MUST be present when you check out.
LAST STEP: RETURN YOUR ROOM KEY
- RETURNING YOUR KEYS IN THE MAIL IS NOT AN OPTION!
- Make sure you complete your mail forwarding. Click here.
- If you fail to return your key, you will be charged for a re-core.
- Students have two options for the check-out process:
- Must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance
- RES staff member will walk through your room with you assessing differences
- You return your room and mailbox keys to the Student Center Front Desk
- You retain your right to appeal any charges associated with damages in your room
- Does not have to be scheduled in advance
- Express Check-out boxes are located in the lobby of each Hall
- You complete the information on Express Check-out, sign it, place your keys inside the envelope, seal it, and place it in the Express Check-out box
- You waive your right to appeal any charges associated with damages in your room
Note: Conducting at Face-to-face check-out is a PRELIMINARY INSPECTION that compares your RCR during your check-in with the room's current condition. Fees for damages will be assessed and communicated by the RES Professional Staff AFTER the halls have closed.
Check your Emory email account after two weeks from the date you officially checked out of your room for communication on damage charges posting to your student account. Instructions on appeals will be included with this email. Failure to meet specified deadlines for appeals will forfeit your appeal option. Appeals will NOT be considered after the deadline communicated.